.

Be gentle and not cruel. Embrace humility more than arrogance. Thank others more than you accept thanks. Feel compassion more than apathy. See what others ignore. Hold others close more than you push them aside. Learn more than you teach. Be present more than absent. Give more than you take. -Joanne Cacciatore

Sunday, May 6, 2012

What I saw yesterday...

As we spent the day watching the Ironman and all of the people we knew participating I couldn't help but get overly excited for the accomplishments each individual step by step were reaching. 


"Success is not measured by what you accomplish but by the opposition you have encountered, and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds."
-Orison Swett Marden

I am for sure a softy when people succeed at what they put there minds to.  Maybe because its a struggle I deal with daily but boy I get sort of mom protection proud.   In October, I was able to watch one of these competitors from yesterday participate in the St. George Marathon.  They struggled a little and were disappointed in there time while doing the Marathon.  I however, looked at them accomplishing the marathon as sort of an inspiration.  A part of giving those around them the permission to use there liberation from there own fears to success  -- so that we could also be liberated from ours.  It was a milestone for me, in my journey to believe I could do anything they did if I wanted to. 

7 months later, three of the marathon runners I know, who came from being overweight, being insecure, hiding behind their clothes, who each have their own personal story and struggles were now participating in the Ironman.  You think I thought a Marathon was big deal??? In only 7 months the same person who was disappointed at there time was now going to add on 112 miles of bike and 2.5 miles of swimming???  This was a big dang deal!!!  I was able to watch each one of them swim, bike, and run.... I was able to watch each one of them become an Ironman!   My favorite part of the whole race was at the end when they crossed the line the commentator yelled.... blank blank You are now an Ironman!!!!  What a proud moment that would have felt like.  I cant even imagine what they felt as they crossed the finish line and heard those words. 

So with the quote above... it isn't about these men crossing the finish line and succeeding that us as bystanders feel is so impressive.  Its that opposition, overwhelming odds that they faced leading up to this race.  It was the battle within there minds that they won, it was there ability to set out for a goal and to accomplish it, it was there overwhelming ability to STAND OUT and lay down the red carpet and give permission to each and everyone of us to use there example to believe in ourselves.  It is a gift not many give, some my call it crutch, but I call it a gift!!!! 

Congratulations to all of the 2012 Ironman!!!  Smile because you deserve this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment